Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Just a Rambling

Like most people, I did a lot of goofy things growing up. I mean, let's face it, growing up near a small town left a teenager with lots of time to waste, and cook up things to do.

Pushing a car.For instance, my friends and I would get bored at football games, and since you had to park on the street at the school for games, people were not in sight of their cars. We got the idea one time to just go and move the car of someone we knew. We would just move it from under the street light to a dark shadowy area nearby. Or, we would move a car around the corner from where it was left. These were the days when most high schoolers had cars from the 60's that did not have steering wheel locks. So it was pretty easy to get in and move them. Lock the car? Shoot, it was a small town. People didn't mess with other people's cars (except us).

Well, we thought it was a hilarious thing to do. We could just imagine the car owner coming out to where they "thought" they left their car, and it wasn't there! Of course, we never stuck around to see the result. We were too chicken that some of our enemies would find out and kill us.

My best friend growing up was Brian. He lived in town, while I lived out in the country. Even for a small town it felt like a big difference between living in the country and living in town. For one thing, when push button phones came onto the scene, I thought it was the most ingenious thing that you could just punch buttons to dial someone's number. The most fun part was learning to play songs by punching the different numbers! I mean, out in the country we still had a party line. We had just gotten a dial phone not too many years previous. That was a huge improvement over picking up the phone, waiting for the operator, and giving her the number you wanted to call.

In any case, Brian and I were always looking for something new to do. We had a few other friends in town that we would play fox and hounds with using our cars, but when it was just the two of us, we needed to find something simpler.

1966 Rambler Classic 660Around the time I got my driver's license, Dad picked up a 1966 Rambler Classic automobile. It was probably a $300 find. I mean this car was a tank! It had a huge steering wheel, because it did not have power steering. It took three arms to turn the wheel when maneuvering in a parking lot or turning around. It also had a three-speed stick shift on the steering column, and a switch on the dash to turn on or off the overdrive function (for fuel economy). I remember you had to get it up to cruising speed, then let off on the gas a for a few seconds for overdrive to kick in.

The Rambler could seat 6 teenagers quite comfortably. It was pretty big. It had a 6 cylinder 232 cubic inch engine that was solid as they come. On County Highway G just north of Eagle River there was about a 2 mile straight stretch, where you could really wind a vehicle up if you wanted to. One day I decided I wanted to see how fast this Rambler would go. I got it up to 105 mph on that stretch, then realized that a wheel bearing could go out, or one of the old nylon front tires could easily blow out. I quickly slowed down. Needless to say I never did that again.

HUGE snow bankBack to Brian and I looking for something to do. It was winter of '74-'75, and we were just driving around bored out of our minds. I pulled into the bank parking lot, and got to looking at the snowbanks betwen the parking lot lights. I wondered how hard it would be to get up some speed and drive right through that bank. So, I told Brian to hold on (I think we decided to put on our seat belts). I backed up, got up some speed, and blasted right through that snowbank. Snow went flying as if a bomb had just gone off. We couldn't see a thing out the windshield for a few seconds.

Now THAT gave us a thrill! So, I started plowing through more spots in the bank, and ramming them even faster. We were just laughing so hard we couldn't see straight. I know, I know, it doesn't take much to amuse some teenagers. But, hey, at least we weren't out doing drugs, or going to beer parties and such. After awhile, I noticed I couldn't see the road too well. We figured we'd better get out and check the front of the car. You guessed it, snow was packed so tightly into the headlights and grille that it took us awhile to unpack it.

To this day, I'm amazed the police did not see us doing this, or that someone in the area didn't report us. I mean, the lot was lit up pretty well. Of course, there weren't houses around, and the town literally shut down after 6:00 pm. We were just content to get our thrill by blasting through those snow banks and watching the snow just explode all over. For some reason we began talking like we were asian, and chanting, "Prow snow! Prow snow!". We just snickered at the thought of people coming to work the next morning and seeing the snow pushed all over the parking lot.

We never did get caught. In fact, this is the first time I've really recounted this story in over 30 years. I wonder if Brian remembers it the same as I do.

5 comments:

ksmnet said...

From my brother, Kurt:
Hi. I just realized today that you have written more blogs of our past history. I read the story of my fire. Just to help you clarify a few things. Glembins name was John and I was 8 years old. I stole the firecrackers from kevin's room and was attempting to light one on a rock when it fizzled and started the fire. I had Karson with me who was 4. I was scared and ran to our tree house and hid until dinner then at dinner I looked out the window feeling guilty and said look there is a fire. That is how I remember it. Then dad drove us out there in the blazer with buckets of water, shovels etc to put it out. I said John Glembin lit it with a match. When I told dad about it being John he threatened to go over there with me and confront him. Thats when I gave in and told the truth. Later dad spanked me.
Kurt
p.s I like the stories though

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I LOVED this story! I am sure that is where my brother got his idea to play "SNOW PLOW" with our cars! I was in the car on at least one occasion when he decided to do that and to spin as fast as possible! He called it "doing donuts!" I just called it being crazy! It scared the stuffing out of ME! YOU two were so much fun, though---never a dull moment! Please keep writing! The things you mention, the younger folk have not a clue what it was like, and it is a wonderful trip down memory lane for me---the older group! GREAT JOB!

Anonymous said...

YOU ROCK! YOUR STORIES are SO GOOD! YOU have a great wealth to share! KEEP IT UP!

Amber Anderson said...

Wow,Kerry, what a fun posting. I remember the old Rambler. I used to love that big old steering wheel. I thought that it was a really neat car. Did Kevin and Kristi end up with it? Somehow that is what I remember. I vaguely remember hearing a story about Kurt starting the field on fire. I would have only been 2 years old at the time. I remember John Glembin even though he was at least 4 years older than me. I remember the Glembins having German Shepherds as pets. I used to be a little afraid of their dogs as I would ride my bike past their house. I often wondered if that is where Snoopy would get pregnant from because many of her puppies had German Shepherd features. Do you remember Tuffy? I think that was the name because of the tuffs of hair by her eyes. She looked a lot like a German Shepherd.
I know that you want us to only comment on the stories that you write. I love all the stories, by the way, you are a gifted writer. Could you reminisce about our various pets. I think that our pets were a big part of our upbringing experiences. You may not remember all the different pets Kirby and Karson had, or Apryll and I for that matter. I do remember your home in the old shed for stray cats. You always had a soft spot for cats, horses, all animals really. Thank you for helping me to visualize your growing up years, as I missed them being younger. I love to hear about what you 4 oldest siblings used to do.ers

ksmnet said...

Dad traded in the Rambler for a Ford Pinto. It was a yellow Pinto Pony with a 4-speed stick shift. I loved that car. I drove it everywhere, and never got stuck in it. I even got rear-ended once, and the gas tank did not explode!